[3view] knife moving problem

Małgorzata Śliwińska m.sliwinska at nencki.gov.pl
Wed Aug 22 17:20:29 CEST 2018

Hi Joergen,

Thank you for your suggestions. Would it be possible for you to send me
a picture showing what you mean by electric wire which bend over time? I
would like to try to bend it back. I hope it is not a motor as I am able
to cut, after error I start new scan and it is working fine for two
hours now... How to check if it is because of cutter piezo?

Generally can I do everything myself or I need to call Gatan?

Thanks a lot

Gosia

Małgorzata Śliwińska, PhD
Laboratory of Imaging Tissue Structure and Function
Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology Polish Academy of Sciences
3 Pasteur Street, 02-093 Warsaw, Poland
Phone: +48 22 589 2502
www.nencki.gov.pl

W dniu 2018-08-22 16:34, Joergen Kornfeld napisał(a):

> Hi Gosia,
>
> it is a bit hard to diagnose for me from the description, but it might be the "cutter motor" or the detection mechanism that tests in which position the cutter arm is. For imaging, the whole knife holding arm is moved away from the sample (this may be what you mean by CLEAR position), but then returned over the sample for cutting. This position is detected by an electric wire contact, which might bend over time so that it is not functional anymore and the cutter arm can get stuck (just bending it back would fix it then). Another possibility is that the cutter motor itself is broken (the entire arm with the knife does not move anymore, needs replacement of the motor) or that the knife piezo does not work anymore (the diamond cannot slide over the sample anymore during approach, needs replacement of the cutter piezo).
>
> Maybe this helps,
>
> Joergen
>
> Am 8/22/2018 um 4:14 PM schrieb Małgorzata Śliwińska:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> Recently I have experienced three times a problem with knife moving in 3View.
>>
>> I the middle of the scan the knife stopped cutting. The pictures were collected, I hear clicking from the knife driver, so it seems that everything is working but 20 consecutive pictures were the same, no cutting. My impression is that the table with the sample was moving up but the knife was blocked in CLEAR position. When it happened I opened the chamber, lower the stage and approached the sample again (because I was afraid that if the knife unblock finally, it will hit the sample and be damaged). After restart the scan continued properly.
>>
>> Today it happen again, but this time the scan was stopped automatically and I received the message: "3View record aborted:Timeout moving knife position to NEAR"
>>
>> Also from one year on I have been observing, that while cutting with open chamber, around the 12-17th slice I hear the sound like "boing" of the metal spring (I did not observed any blockade with the open chamber but I suspect that it can be the problem of the spring responsible for moving the knife arm...)
>>
>> Does anybody experience similar problem? Does it concern a part easily exchangeable or is it a bigger problem? I am afraid to leave 3View working unattended till I fix this problem ;-(
>>
>> I would be grateful for any advice
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> Gosia
>>
>> Małgorzata Śliwińska, PhD
>> Laboratory of Imaging Tissue Structure and Function
>> Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology Polish Academy of Sciences
>> 3 Pasteur Street, 02-093 Warsaw, Poland
>> Phone: +48 22 589 2502
>> www.nencki.gov.pl [1]

Links: