[3view] knife moving problem

Joergen Kornfeld Joergen.Kornfeld at mpimf-heidelberg.mpg.de
Wed Aug 22 16:34:33 CEST 2018

Hi Gosia,

it is a bit hard to diagnose for me from the description, but it might
be the "cutter motor" or the detection mechanism that tests in which
position the cutter arm is. For imaging, the whole knife holding arm is
moved away from the sample (this may be what you mean by CLEAR
position), but then returned over the sample for cutting. This position
is detected by an electric wire contact, which might bend over time so
that it is not functional anymore and the cutter arm can get stuck (just
bending it back would fix it then). Another possibility is that the
cutter motor itself is broken (the entire arm with the knife does not
move anymore, needs replacement of the motor) or that the knife piezo
does not work anymore (the diamond cannot slide over the sample anymore
during approach, needs replacement of the cutter piezo).

Maybe this helps,

Joergen