[3view] knife moving problem

Małgorzata Śliwińska m.sliwinska at nencki.gov.pl
Wed Aug 22 16:14:08 CEST 2018

Dear All,

Recently I have experienced three times a problem with knife moving in
3View.

I the middle of the scan the knife stopped cutting. The pictures were
collected, I hear clicking from the knife driver, so it seems that
everything is working but 20 consecutive pictures were the same, no
cutting. My impression is that the table with the sample was moving up
but the knife was blocked in CLEAR position. When it happened I opened
the chamber, lower the stage and approached the sample again (because I
was afraid that if the knife unblock finally, it will hit the sample and
be damaged). After restart the scan continued properly.

Today it happen again, but this time the scan was stopped automatically
and I received the message: "3View record aborted:Timeout moving knife
position to NEAR"

Also from one year on I have been observing, that while cutting with
open chamber, around the 12-17th slice I hear the sound like "boing" of
the metal spring (I did not observed any blockade with the open chamber
but I suspect that it can be the problem of the spring responsible for
moving the knife arm...)

Does anybody experience similar problem? Does it concern a part easily
exchangeable or is it a bigger problem? I am afraid to leave 3View
working unattended till I fix this problem ;-(

I would be grateful for any advice

Best regards

Gosia

Małgorzata Śliwińska, PhD
Laboratory of Imaging Tissue Structure and Function
Nencki Institute of Experimental Biology Polish Academy of Sciences
3 Pasteur Street, 02-093 Warsaw, Poland
Phone: +48 22 589 2502
www.nencki.gov.pl